How to shorten a URL – is a very hot topic nowadays. Sometimes the links that you want to share can become too long. That is bad because it would not fit in to a twitter post or a text message. You simply can lose opportunities for sales and new customers. For these cases, people have invented the URL shortener. A URL Shortener is a tool that converts your long link into a shorter one.
In this article, we will explain how to shorten any URL in 3 easy steps.
What Is a URL Shortener?
A URL shortener is a great tool to make a long URL (Uniform Resource Locator) shorter. URL shortening service is an online tool (or service) that allows you to provide a long link to a specific webpage, obtain a shorter link, share it in social networks and track the clicks made.
How Does a URL Shortener Work?
A URL shortener works because of a function called a “Redirect” (URL redirection). So the new link (the short URL) redirects people to the old link (your long URL). When you enter a link to your browser, this actually sends an HTTPS command to the URL Shortener server directing it to get the information and transfer you to the requested web page.
Step 1: Copy the link that you need to be shortened
You can shorten a URL, no matter how long and complex it is. Simply highlight the link in from your internet browser or a text document and copy it to the clipboard by pressing Ctrl + C on your keyboard (Command + C for Mac).
Step 2: Visit the Klik.li URL Shortener site
Klik.li link shortening service allows you to shorten a URL quickly and free of charge. Additionally, you can set a password and an expiration date to your shortened URL.
Step 3: Paste your long link into the URL Shortener field
Place the cursor in the text field on the Klik.li website and paste the copied URL. You can paste by pressing Ctrl + V on your keyboard. (Command + V for Macs).
Click Shorten and you will receive a link like this: https://klik.li/rWBv9
How to shorten a URL using the advanced features of Klik.li URL shortener
- Password protect your links – if you are wondering how to shorten a URL, it might be useful for you also to protect your links from unwanted visitors and only give access to the people you want to. This is absolutely possible with Klik.li URL shortener.
- Set expiration date – in case of a time-limited campaign, it would be wise to set an expiration date for your links, so that they would become inaccessible at the specific date.
- Create custom aliases – in order to add branding aspect to your links, you can create custom aliases for your campaign and share these custom branded shortened URLs with your customers.
For example – https://klik.li/spring2018
- Descriptions – when you are managing hundreds of shortened URLs it is wise to set a description for them to make your short links easily identifiable. This feature is also supported by the Klik.li URL shortener.
- Tracking clicks – when your promotional campaign is sent out, you can relax and monitor which locations and devices your shortened URLs are being clicked from. This gives you a lot of insight into your customers’ behavior and habits.
Hopefully, you have found an answer to the question ‘How to shorten a URL?’ in this article.